Updated: Feb 25, 2021
Is your birthday coming soon or the birthday of your loved ones and you don't know what to do to celebrate it? Especially during the quarantine, you don't have many options? I think an elegant Almond Coconut Cake is what you need.
During these tough times, some people can't figure out good plans to celebrate their birthdays but baking a nice tasty cake is the best way to celebrate it. All you need is to put your mind into it and be happy before you start baking. I do believe that the key to the success of good recipes is both love baking and respecting the ingredients.
On my birthday this year, I didn't feel like making a chocolate cake but rather a delicate almond coconut cake but with different ingredients not only white flour. Something that can be at the same time healthy and delicious and this is how I found this Raffaello coconut almond cake in Youtube that I've adjusted slightly to add some moisture to it. It's made with an almond sponge cake, white chocolate, mascarpone, and coconut filling and topped with Raffaello Truffles, chopped almonds, and shredded coconut. And trust me, it's super tasty, easy and healthy.
Makes about 10 servings
Almond Sponge Cake
6 large eggs, room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup (200g) sugar
1 cup (100g) ground almonds
2/3 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp (5g) almond extract
White Chocolate Coconut Frosting
7 oz (200g) white chocolate
3 tbsp (45g) canned coconut milk
9 oz (250g) Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
2 cups (500g) whipping cream, 35%fat, chilled
1/4 cup (30g) powdered sugar
1/2 cup (40g) unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp (5g) coconut extract
Assembling and decorating
1 cup (240g) canned coconut milk unsweetened
Chopped almonds, optional
Raffaello truffles, optional
1. Preheat oven to 340F (170C). Grease and line bottom and sides of a 9 inch (23cm) pan with parchment paper.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks. Add a pinch of salt over the whites and start mixing until foamy. Gradually add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
3. In a small bowl mix egg yolks with almond extract and fold them into the whipped whites. 4. Gradually add ground almonds and flour and carefully incorporate them into the batter.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until lightly golden.
7. Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Place chocolate and coconut milk in a heatproof bowl and let it melt over a pan with simmering water.
9. In a large bowl mix Mascarpone cheese until smooth. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined.
10. In another large bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Incorporate powdered sugar and coconut extract.
11. Gradually incorporate whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture. Fold in the shredded coconut. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
12. Assemble the cake. Divide the sponge cake into 3 layers. Place one cake layer on your serving plate.
3. Spread ⅓ cup coconut milk over the cake layer. Spread evenly with a bit less than a third of the frosting. Repeat with the second layer of cake. Add the third layer of cake and spread with the last ⅓ cup of coconut milk. Spread the remaining frosting on top and sides of the cake. 14. Sprinkle shredded coconut on the top and sides of the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
15. Decorate as desired, I’ve used Raffaello truffles and chopped almonds.
The longest you let it cool in the fridge, the tastiest it gets. The result was amazing. It came out fluffy, moist and very delicious that's why I'd recommend anyone to give it a try. It's totally worth it.
Don't feel down because you couldn't go out and party with your friends on your special day. Happiness can be found within our home and even better at our kitchen.
Stay safe and happy birthday!!!